Yesterday, Tom questioned my prognostication skills as he mercilessly made fun of the expectations I published about the Angels’ series.
“I’m questioning your prognostication skills. Don’t screw up the Oakland series or we’ll have to find a replacement.“- Tom
This coming from the same person who picked the A’s to win the AL West interestingly enough.
In my defense, they are my expectations, not predictions. It is a fine line that even confuses me sometimes. Basically, I am saying here’s what should happen realistically, but combining how squirrely the game of baseball is with how unreliable the Mets are, I wouldn’t put money on what I say.
Well, Tom wasn’t buying it. After hours of crying uncontrollably and begging for my job, I started working on my expectations for the series against Oakland.
Here we go:
Even though everything is telling me this probably won’t happen, I still expect the Mets to take the series.
1. At some point, the Mets should win a home series right? Especially against sub .500 teams.
2. I like the pitching match ups. The Amazin’s have All World Dillon Gee going tonight followed by R.A. Dickey and Chris Capuano. Surely that’s two of three. Unless of course, R.A.’s last start is a sign of a string of games in which he scuffles and Chris Capuano comes back down to Earth.
3. The Mets are coming off a day off after 13 straight games and the A’s had to travel across country so jet lag may be a factor.
1. The A’s are on a roll right now as they are riding a five game winning streak.
2. The Mets haven’t been that stellar at home in 2011 for some reason.
3. There is a conspiracy that involves every MLB club and the sole purpose is to make me look silly when my expectations are not met.
I Think They Smoke A Lot Of Dope in Oakland
Check out this post by an A’s fan named Robert (last name withheld to protect the innocent…or until you read his post). The Midwestropolitan Research Staff assures me this isn’t taken out of context, but Robby actually believes that Jose Canseco could still contribute something to the Oakland Athletics.
“I have 1 name that can help all 3 of these problems. You LOVE him and you HATE him. His name is Jose. And you know exactly who i’m talking about. Go to youtube and search Jose’s videos of him destroying softballs over 500 feet. We could do much worst as a hitting coach AND he could be a late inning Pinch hitter.”- Delusional A’s Fan Robert
All I can say is WOW, and you gotta love this guy’s moxy. It is out of the box thinking. I’ll give him that. That’s like asking Mex to come down from the SNY booth to be our left-handed bench threat (secretly I do believe he could still out hit Willie Harris or Jason Bay).