Some random observations that crossed the pea sized object inside my skull during game 1:
- The pre-game ceremony remembering Gary Carter was classy. Well done Mets brass.
- Ah, Johan is back. I really wish SNY would remove the pitch count graphic when he pitches. I find myself somewhat consumed by projecting out how many innings he’ll go. I hate that.
- Daniel Murphy can still hit. Sweet.
- I find it ironic that the player we traded Angel Pagan for in the off-season gets picked off at first base in the season opener. Aren’t 34-year-old veteran lead off men supposed to keep base running errors to a minimum?
- The “no shit” statement of the game:
“And that’s not what he wanted to do there.”-Keith Hernandez in the 5th inning after Johan walked the 8 & 9 hitters (the 9th hitter being the opposing pitcher).
- Johan is the only pitcher I have confidence in getting out of that situation. Well done El Gocho.
- Who schedules a staff meeting in the middle of the Mets’ opening day?
- Cool, still zero zero “Who’s winning? The Bears.” Didn’t miss anything.
- David Wright with a clutch hit. Man it would be sweet if he has a monster year. This is certainly a decent start.
- Jason Bay got on base. That’s nice.
- Duda & Ike a combined 0 for 8 with 4 Ks. Ouch. It’s only one game though. No biggie.
- Diggin’ the 1-2-3 save by Francisco. Dramatic, nail-biting, saves are over rated.
- Nice win. Enjoyed it. Mets are STILL in 1st place.